Mu Zeta Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega at San Francisco State University, first began as a chapter at what was then called San Francisco State College back in 1956. In Fall 1956, 40 members were part of the Chartering Group. All of the members were male, and it wasn’t until 1976 when women were finally allowed to become official members of the fraternity.
On November 29, 1956, CJ Carlson presented the Alpha Phi Omega charter to Charles Mahnken. However, on December 15, 1960, a ban took effect removing all Greek organizations from the college, and the last recorded pledge class took place Fall 1958.
In 1983, Earle M. Herbert recommended rechartering. In result, Allen Wong (Alpha Alpha Xi), Gilbert Yee and Victor Lock (both from Gamma Gamma) brought Mu Zeta to active standing.
On March 25, 1985, Mu Zeta submitted an application for rechartering. Alpha Alpha Xi became our big brother chapter. On April 26, 1985, Mu Zeta was finally recognized as a brand new chapter having Al Paparelli as the first faculty Advisor. Lorraine Dong because the chapter’s faculty advisor succeeding Paparelli.
During Fall 1985, Elizabeth Gee became Mu Zeta’s first elected chapter president, female president, and first two time president.